Pages

Monday, November 23, 2009

Flavor Fest!

I spent all 8 hours of my day today chopping 60 pounds of vegetables. You know those movies where they show a bad soldier up close chopping an onion and then pan out to an entire room full of onions? Yea, not so far from my reality. During that time I asked myself popular existential questions such as, "what am I doing here?" and "How did I wind up in this mess?" In between the cold whistling of no answer to these questions I dreamed up this menu...

Black Sea Bass baked with Thyme, Salt and Pepper

Brown Rice with carrot confetti and cilantro

Baby Bok Choy sauteed with crispy shallots, garlic and sesame oil


It was quite delish.

Tonight I am going to step my game up a bit, and adding the recipe as best as my mind will remember (see below photo). If you have questions about what follows let me know and I will be happy to respond!






For the Fish:
Preheat your oven to 350
Get your fish in a pan or on a cookie sheet or foil (whatever you got lying around)
Sprinkle with some salt, pepper and dried thyme, if you have fresh then rock out with that.
Bake for 15 minutes

For the Rice:
Wash it really good in a fine mesh strainer
Throw it in the pot you are cooking it in
Turn on the heat to medium high
and cook out the water till its dry and smells slightly nutty
add hot water 1:1.75
Be sure to salt your water well (should be tear drop salty, this will make your rice extra yummy)
Bring to boil, reduce to simmer, cover
cook for 40 minutes-- or until water is completely absorbed

While rice is cooking chop up carrot finely
Chop cilantro finely. No need to pick the leave, just chop the stems up with it!
Once rice is done, throw in carrots and cilantro and toss to combine

For the Bok Choy:
Put 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a pan at med-high heat
get that oil nice and hot
add 1 chopped shallot
saute until crispy and brown (careful not to burn it)
add bok choy stems first
saute 3-5 minutes
add 2 cloves garlic chopped
Add bok choy leaves, cook until wilted
add sesame oil at the very end

Voila! you now are eating the intermission of my existential questioning

No comments:

Post a Comment